Mimi's Lemon Butter Chicken
A Lemony Chicken Stew with just 4 main ingredients! Chicken, Potatoes, Lots of fresh Lemon Juice and Butter!
- 4 split chicken breasts bone in, skin on
- 3 lbs. 6-8 medium peeled potatoes (such as russet) cut in large chunks
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice do not substitute, may use zest of up to 2 lemons)
- 1 stick butter, cut in 4-6 segments no substitutes
- Salt and Pepper generously fresh cracked black pepper preferred
- 1 quart water may need more to cover potatoes
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, pat chicken breasts dry- salt and pepper generously. Place cup up potatoes in a large covered pot. Cover with water, Salt generously. Place Chicken Breasts on top of potatoes, do not cover with water. Pour fresh lemon juice and zest over chicken. Evenly space chicken and place segments of butter over chicken. Salt and Pepper again. Cover pot with oven safe lid. On stovetop, bring stew to a boil. Carefully remove from heat and transfer covered pot to preheated oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is done. (Falling off the bone is desired.) When done, remove from oven, carefully remove chicken from the pot. Allow to cool slightly. Remove chicken skin and bones. Shred or chop cooked chicken breasts and return to the pot, stirring in gently with broth and potatoes. To serve: Remove chicken and potatoes with slotted spoon to a plate, pass small bowls of hot broth. May also be served in large bowls as a stew. Any leftovers? Reheat and mash potatoes slightly to serve as a soup.
- Please do not substitute chicken broth or stock instead of water, this makes it's own rich broth.
- You must not use boneless chicken or the broth will not be enriched.
- Any herbs, seasonings or vegetables beyond what the recipe calls for will change the recipe entirely!